Maths is a subject for which everyone has their own different opinions, some consider it simply a subject, some consider it an invention and some consider it as a universal language. Maths is associated with almost all the events that occur in our personal lives. Math was the favorite subject of very few people in school, and especially I was not among them, I was afraid of the name of Maths itself. But there are also some students, for whom math is everything, they can solve math equations for hours, without getting bored. With the passage of time and aging, I realized that Math is not so scary and not so boring, there are many things and many facts in Math which are quite exciting. And today by moving away from science and technology, in this article of ours, we will know about some of the amazing facts about math. These facts of math that I am sharing today are very surprising and exciting. So here are 40 amazing facts of math…
40 Amazing And Surprising Facts Of Maths
1. The word “hundred” comes from an old Norse term, “hundrath”, which used in Germanic languages prior to the 15th century, which actually means 120 and not 100.
2. You will be surprised to know that there are only 17 possible types of wallpaper patterns. If you look at the inherent symmetry in wallpaper patterns, mathematicians have proved that there are only 17 possibilities. Yes, you can, of course, vary the colors and designs, but you will still go with only 17 different possibilities.
3. Number 9 is considered inauspicious in many communities and many places, but are you aware of the magic of number 9? So let’s think of any number in your mind, now multiply it with (9) and then sum all the individual digits of the result to make a single digit, and you will be surprised to know that the sum of all these individual digits will be always nine, one of the interesting facts of math, isn’t it?
4. This is one of the facts of Math that you rarely notice, 40 when written: “forty” is the only number with letters in alphabetical order, while “one” is the only number with letters in reverse order.
5. Take any four-digit number, and now follow these steps, and you will always get 6174 as the answer.
(1) First, choose any four-digit number, but remember that it must contain at least two different digits.
(2) Now arrange all the digits of this four-digit number in ascending order.
(3) Now subtract the smallest number from the largest.
Finally, you will end up at 6174, which is known as Kaprekar’s constant. Each time you repeat this process, you will get 6174 each time.
6. This is one of the facts of math that can blow your mind, so If you folded a piece of paper in half 103 times it would be the thickness of the observable universe In practice. And If you fold a piece of paper in half 42 times, it would reach the moon, seems fake but it is true, you can watch the video below to know more about it.
7. This is a bit strange, but in the count from 0 to 1,000, the letter “A” appears only once, and that is in 1000(“one thousand”).
8. Another fun fact about math is, If you shuffle a pack of cards properly, chances are that exact order has never been seen before in the whole history of the universe. It’s really interesting.
9. If I ask you what is the most popular number of whole math, what will you answer, I know, many people will tell their favorite number or other will not answer it. So let me tell you, Math’s most popular favorite number is 7. Around 3000 people, about 10% of the total asked, choose number 7 as their favorite number in an online poll by Alex Bellos. And the second most popular and favorite number is 3.
10. This is one of the creepy facts about math, which no one tells us in school, so there’s a number called googolplex (10googol, or equivalently, 10(10100)) and there is not enough space in the known universe to write out a googolplex on paper. As per the words of Carl Sagan in the original Cosmos series, a googolplex is 10 to the power of a googol, or 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 100.
11. Many of you may not know that there is a digit that cannot be presented in the Roman numbers, and that number is 0. Zero has never been a part of Roman numerals.
12. An important equation of math is that if you do 111,111,111 × 111,111,111, you will get 12,345,678,987,654,321 as result.
13. Knowing this fact of math, you will feel a bit strange that ‘Four’ is the only number in the English language that is spelled with the same number of letters as the number itself.
14. Did you know a ‘jiffy’ is an actual unit of time, it is used for 1/100th of a second?
15. Strange but, -40 °C actually equals to -40 °F.
16. In any one room where 23 people are present, there is always a 50 percent chance that the date of the birthday of 2 persons in that room is the same.
17. One of the amazing facts of math is that A pizza that has radius “z” and height “a” has volume Pi × z × z × a. Because the area of a circle is Pi multiplied by the radius squared which can be written out as Pi × z × z and to get volume it will be multiply by height (×a), which look like Pi × z × z × a.
18. 555 is only a number in other places but some people in Thailand also use it as “hahaha”, and they do so because the word “five” is pronounced as “ha” in their language.
19. Often our counting is limited to one million, billion and trillion, but do you know what comes after them? So the answer is a quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion, octillion, nonillion, and decillion.
20. Among all shapes with the same perimeter, a circle has the largest area and also among all shapes with the same area circle has the shortest perimeter.
21. Imaginary numbers are used in the real world, engineers use them to describe electrical currents.
22. If you add two even numbers, you always end up with even number and if you add one even number and one odd number, you always end up with an odd number.
23. In geometry classes we all learn about icosagon, but did you know an icosagon is a shape with 20 sides.
24. One of the facts about Math that is rarely noticed by anyone is that every odd number has an “e” letter in it.
25. Did you know which one is considered as the most important equation of maths, so that equation is e^i*pi + 1 = 0, this equation has five most important numbers of Maths in it.
26. This is one of best facts of maths or you can say facts about pie, In the year 1873, a mathematician named William Shanks calculated the value of π to 707 decimal places, a tremendous achievement in the days before computers or other calculation devices made, this remained the most precise value of π to be calculated for almost 75 years, until D. F. Ferguson used a desk calculator to calculate π to 808 decimal places and this calculation by Ferguson discovers that Shanks’ calculation of π was wrong starting at the 528th decimal place, Pi is therefore not a fraction and this makes it irrational number which neither repeats nor does it end when written as a decimal.
27. You must have seen people arguing that zero is an even number or odd number, so it has been proved that zero is an even number. I know most of you won’t agree with my words, so for a better explanation click here and you will get your answer with a perfect example.
28. You will be surprised to know that, the number 0.999999….. is exactly equal to 1
Then 10x = 9.9999…
29. The sum of all numbers on a roulette wheel is 666, amazing isn’t it?
30. The percent symbol (%) is supposed to be a fraction of zero over zero, there are also symbols such as the permille sign (‰) for higher and others for smaller percentages.
31. The number 8 in math is considered as a lucky number in China that the Chinese government scheduled the Beijing Olympics to begin 8 seconds after 8:08 on 8/8/2008, amazing and weird.
32. One of the surprising facts of math is that trigonometry was invented by Muslim mathematicians as a way for worshippers to calculate the direction to Mecca for prayer.
33. 73939133 is the largest known prime number, if you remove the digit from the right, it will always leave a prime number.
34. The longest mathematical proof is 15,000 pages, includes more than 100 mathematicians and has taken 30 years to complete it.
35. There was a mathematician named George Dantzig, he solved two of the most famous problems of statistics, because he came into class too late to hear that they were supposed to be unsolvable.
36. A female English mathematician named Ada Lovelace wrote an algorithm in the mid-1800s designed to be carried out by a machine and at present, she is known as the first computer programmer.
37. Number Zero is the only number with the most number of the names, apart from zero it is also known as naught, nil, zilch, naught, and zip.
38. Have you heard about a Palindrome Number? Palindrome Number is a number that you start reading from the back or from the front, remains the same., e.g. 12421
39. Have you heard about Fibonacci? Fibonacci is the sequence of numbers wherein a number is the result of adding the two numbers before it! Here is an example: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so on also in a sunflower, the sequence followed by many spherically spiral patterns in a bud follows Fibonacci series.
40. Markings on animal bones show that humans have been doing maths since around 30,000BC.
So these are some of the best and interesting facts of math. Hopefully, you enjoyed and learned from these 40 facts about math, still, if you have any questions about these facts of math or you think we should include any other fact about math in our list so you can share with us in the comments section.