So before we will discuss how to connect a turntable to a PC, let’s know first what is turntable in a short definition, so turntable is the flat rounded part of a record player which supports the record when it is played. Although at present many new kinds of music players available in the market but still, there are people who love using turntable especially those who like audio editing. But it is hard to find these recorders at all occasions, and for this reason, sometimes users need to record some music, from their old recorders in their PC, and in order to do this, users have to connect the turntable to the PC. But many of us do not know how to do this, so let’s see how can we connect a turntable to a computer, but before that let’s know the things which we require before connecting a turntable to a pc…
Things We Needed To Connect A Turntable To A Pc
Apart from a turntable and a PC we also need a few things before connecting a turntable to a pc, the first thing we need is preamplifier. Now you might be thinking that why we need a preamplifier while we are recording in PC? So that is because, before recording audio from a turntable, you need to know that how much volume you need to record audio from a turntable and to know that first, you have to listen that how much js the volume right now and how much it needs to increase or decrease. And you can do that only by listening to that song via using a preamplifier. If you’re using a turntable that’s part of a stereo stack that means you’ve already got a preamplifier but if you’re using a stand-alone turntable so you need to buy a preamplifier. The second thing which we required is two RCA cables, which can be single and multiple connector cables. The cables used to connect audio and video equipment. So this is it, we need only these two things, now let’s see how can we connect a turntable to a PC…
How To Connect A Turntable To A PC
So there are two different kinds of turntables available on the market…
- Standard Turntable.
- USB Turntable.
And for both of these turntables, there are two different and specific ways to connect them with PC, so let’s know the process…
Connect A Standard Turntable To A PC
You don’t need to download and purchase any third party software to connect standard Turntable To PC, all you have to do is follow these simple steps…
- Plug the connectors at one end of a RCA cable into the turntable’s output jacks and the other end of the stereo cable into the preamp’s input jacks.
- Now after that, Plug the RCA connectors at one end of the adapter cable into the preamp’s output jacks.
- Then connect the mini stereo phone plug into the line-level input jack of computer.
Connect A USB Turntable To A PC
USB turntable is way different from the standard turntable. USB turntable is updated and they specially designed to work with PC’S. You can easily record and edit audio from USB turntable to your PC via using different
- Turn on your USB turntable.
- Now turn on your computer and install the software which the manufacturer provides you for your USB turntable.
- Plug the USB connector of your turntable into any USB port on your computer.
- Now run the Audacity software on your computer and click on the Edit menu and then select Preferences.
- After that, click on the “Devices” option to see the list of options for recording and playback devices.
- Now under the “Recording” option, select the “Microsoft Sound Mapper” or the USB driver provided by the manufacturer of your turntable.
- Then click on the “Ok” button to complete the process.